Having written over a dozen books on CRM software, it’s not unusual for me to receive calls from CRM users who want to “jump ship” and move from one product to another. The reasons may vary but the bottom-line is that the user feels that the current solution “just isn’t working.”
I know first hand the benefits of CRM software. Unfortunately, I also know first hand why CRM implementations fail. To me, the biggest culprit is a lack of training. It is vital to make sure that you and your employees are properly trained to use your CRM software. The likelihood of CRM failure is drastically reduced when everyone receives training.
Being able to effectively use all the features available in your CRM software allows you to save time and money. All too often new users make one of the following assumptions:
- The software is “so” easy that you will be able to figure it all out on your own.
- If one user does a bit of research or receives training then he will in turn be able to train everyone else in the organization.
If you try to teach yourself then you will probably become frustrated when you can’t figure something out. You might make the assumption that the software is not working the way it’s supposed to, or that a feature you want is lacking from the software. People are often resistant to change; if your employees have to muddle through trying to learn an advanced software on their own they will come to despise it. Many users may choose to stop using the CRM system altogether.
This leads us to a few of the benefits of training:
- You’ll save yourself a great deal of time and aggravation by learning the software quickly and thoroughly.
- You’ll be able to devote your time to growing your business rather than learning new software.
- You’ll be able to immediately enjoy the time and money saving benefits of your new CRM product.
- Your employees will be much more likely to use the new system.
It’s easy to see how investing in CRM training is a good decision for you and your employees. It saves you time. It saves you money and it can help make you money by using it correctly. And, most importantly, it will prevent your company from being another CRM casualty.